Saturday, April 5, 2008

Linden Idol---or the Gong Show?



So as many of you know, I have been the Senior Class Advisor this year. And for the final large fundraiser for the year, I thought a talent show would be a change. So we labeled it Linden Idol. Yes I know, not really orginal, but it gets better. I got myself a Randy (played my VP Robo) a Paula (played by Student activity advisor Mrs Mack) and my Simon (played by Mr Colicchio---no not him, the other one)

We had 19 acts, singing, dancing, rapping and comedy. It became one of those monsters that just got bigger and bigger. Kinda of like Hydra, cut one head off-POP-seven more to contend with. And you know public schools no one can say no. So although we had many acts, talent was not always as strong as it could have been.

So let's discuss. In no particular order.

First there was this student, we'll call him...her?...Pat. He tried out with a Christina Aguilera song. He got mad at me when I said that I wished he had sung a song done by a guy. But Genie in a Bottle was his choice. Personally, Boy George should have been considered.
Then there were my rappers. Need I say more. Apparently when people talk to them about the rules, there is no listening on their parts. URHHHHHH.
On the whole the show was amazing. The comedy act got the most laughs. One of my students got up to do stand-up. Look for him on Comedy Central in about 5 yrs. But he's a pain in class. Anyway he took the opportunity to make fun of a teacher. That's right, ME. Funny thing is
(get it?) it was really complimentry to me. And the audience loved it. I don't know who was the bigger hit, him or me? It's a good thing that he was funny.
Now to the talent. The 1st winner was a senior who better get me his CD. He sang his own song that he wrote when he was in Paris the week before. WOW!!! His voice was amazing, rich and mellow, and the song just didn't seem to be from a teenager. (don't worry guys, I'm not fawning...much)

On the whole it really turned out well. And the best part? We SOLD OUT!!! I can't wait for Monday to count my money...I mean the SENIORS money.

Maybe I can have that second career as an American Idol producer? What d'ya think?

5 comments:

HRP said...

Sounds like fun! I'm glad it went off well for you. I know you put a lot of work in to this and it seems to have paid off. Of course the addition of compliments makes it nice. Way ta go Ryan Seacrest - although it is a though call which of you is really more feminine. (Which is a critique of him - not you).

Adi said...

Hey Ryan Seacrest is a babe (in a manly way :)) Sounds like it went really well, yet I fear you might swoon too much for the singers so perhaps you shouldn't be involved too much more. Remember...THEY ARE MINORS!!!!

Critchlow said...

Genie in the Bottle is a non-gender song. Remember it was probably a guy song writer who wrote that. It is an amazing song that reviews the social morays of today...wait...what am I talking about?!
I second 80's motion- MINORS! As far as RAP goes- you can't follow the rules you got to keep it real suckah. Reminds me of when I got disqualified for swearing when really I sead "For You" judges thought it was something else so then I let them have the real thing.
Good to get compliments...better to give. Way to go Bump sounds like it was a hit. If you become producer then you have to ensure I get all of america's votes.

Flying Cloud said...

I'm glad that everything went as well as it did. Now that you have another "thing" out of the way, perhaps you can enjoy life again. You are getting a name for yourself at school. Hope its the right one. We can't call you Ryan the second, so we'll all have to come up with something acceptable. Remember that word guys when you start naming.

Flying Cloud said...

So Belinda, we set up the extra bed in the extra bed room. We painted it in a very light easy blue. It has a large window to the east. Beyond the garden and street and sports field somewhere there is an international school, with some American teachers, including one in our ward. You could come over here get a job, move in and basically get your old room back. Sorry no pictures can go up.